.

Friday, October 19, 2012

DIY Peplum Top and DIY Skirt: Pattern Review B5672 + V8711

Woohooo Its Friday!! I am feeling good and I have some more DIY's to share so that is always fun because it means I have had time to sew ;-) I made this skirt last year but only wore it once but this top I made just this past weekend. The skirt is V8711 View D (review HERE) and the top is a mix of B5672 and V8815.



Pattern Review: B5672 + V8815 Combined


Pattern Description: B5672 Well this pattern is a dress but V8815 is a Peplum top.

Pattern Sizing: I cut the smallest size available knowing I would be adjusting the fit.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Well, no because I made it into a peplum top and not a dress. I did however make the dress a while back and reviewed the pattern HERE

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, it is actually an easy pattern if you want to make the dress and even easier if you are only doing the top portion, like I did this time.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I loved this dress when I made it and when I decided I wanted to make it again I chose to make another peplum top instead so I combine the peplum (modified) from V8815 to this top.

Fabric Used: Grey Ponte Knit (currently on sale)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Besides the combination...I took the peplum pattern pieces of V8815 and slashed them open to create a bigger piece that I then gathered ;-)





Get The Look

DIY Top (similar) HERE / DIY Skirt (similar) HERE / F21 Necklace (old) / GoJane Platform Pumps (old) similar HERE





xoxo
mimi g.

35 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes yes yes!! LOVEEEEE it. You inspire me. More DIY tutorials pplllleeaaassseeee. I can't read patterns. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Mimi.....You look beautiful as always. I love the DIY top and SKIRT. You are really an inspiration and I admire your skills & talent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never think to try the ponte knits...although they're in stock at Vogue Fabrics. Maybe now I will! Can you talk about the mod you made to the flounce on your top? Yours looks like it has more gathers than what's pictured on the pattern envelope, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware of the Vogue Fabrics Ponte - It's polyester, thick and hot. Use the Sophia or Bamboo knit. That fabric mimmicks the fabric Mimi used on her project. Good luck. As usual Mimi does a slammin job!

      Delete
  4. I love what you did with your top and skirt..and those show, knuckle-biting drama going on over here,lol...I LOV'em!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you styled this with the necklace and the shoes! HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mimi how do u care for your cosmetic jewelery? you have often showcased accessories from F21 - some you have had for years and they look great. How do u do it esp for rings and necklaces?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mixing the patterns was a good idea, I made the Vougue peplum top and thought the peplum wa a kinda skimpy....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love those shoes
    .....where did u get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the outfit - Great job! Mami those shoes are fierce I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the outfit as always. What percentage would you say of your clothes are made by you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg, the shoes! I die. Love them! That skirt looks fabulous on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. can you please put up a video on how you did this as well

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the top and skirt! I'm working on a peplum top right now myself. I took a little break from it to start making my collection for sale. But, I need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice outfit. B5672 has an Invisible Zipper, did you include the zipper in your modification version?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Giiiiiiiiiiirl... those SHOES!!!

    You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the top and skirt! you look fabulous in them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I am going to havetm to learn to sew

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your DIY tutorials but I am a first time sewer and patterns look French to me. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking outfit. I love your new top, and I really enjoy seeing sewists blend different patterns together. The options are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love everything about this look Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a gorgeous outfit. I love the peplum this way and the skirt is a real must-have. You look stunning.

    ReplyDelete

  22. I have been reading(lurking) your blog for awhile now, and you are just FABULOUS!!!!! Love the outfit,

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your style and every time I come here, I wish I could sew. I love this outfit and those shoes are smokin HOT!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a cute outfit!!! You have inspired me to get back into sewing! Those shoes are absolutely amazing btw! I hope you'll stop by and check out my site sometime! :)

    - Entice
    http://beefelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What did you mean when you said that you "slashed" the pieces open to create bottom of this top? I like your look better than the pattern version.

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the outfit especially the shoes ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. nice peplum top!♥♥♥ i love your blog! i'm your new follower!!
    xo
    Dear Inès

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love this peplum top. I am so curious as to how you altered the pattern. I immediately went and bought it. I tried sewing years ago but gave up because the clothes just looked too home-made. but you have rekindled that interest for me again with your blog. would u consider a tutorial as to how you slashed the peplum and opened it up. thanks for all the super awesome inspiration. u are talented beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello I lovve the whole look. The skirt and the shoes OMG. I use to make from patterns and that is as far as I have gotten I want to make it a hobbie again. Now if I may where did you get the shoes?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.