.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

DIY Hand Sewn Chanel Inspired Jacket + Pattern Review V7975



click HERE to view event info

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Darlings!

Thank you all so much for the support of the new tutorial! the format is so much easier now that there is no downloading required and the access to your purchase never expires. It also makes things much more efficient for me. If you have no checked out the new store front for the tutorials go HERE ;-)

I am so in love with my labor of love jacket which I posted about over the last few weeks HERE! I have been meaning to make one for such a long time but I knew the amount of work that would go into it so I kept putting it off until I found this FANTASTIC FABRIC and I could no longer wait.



 This jacket took me about 18 hours to complete from start to finish but it was well worth it and considering that 90% of it was hand sewn I think I made it up pretty quick. I had a few stabbing incident with the hand needle but overall the hand sewing wasn't too bad; I just did most of it while I watched TV. The shell or outside of the jacket is usually made from a boucle weave so to stabilize the fabric and make it more firm it is backed by silk charmeuse. The two layers are then quilted together in long rows in a matching thread color so you can't see the sewing lines on the right side. 



If you read the previous post I ended up fusing the main pieces because after I cut my fabric it was so fragile that I knew trying to handle it too much would have caused me terrible anxiety as I watched my fibers come undone, LOL and I wanted to save myself another 20 hours of work so Karl Lagerfeld, forgive me.I quilted the shell and charmeuse together and machine stitched only the side and shoulder seams of the shell (main fabric) and hand stitched everything else (you can see that in the pics in the previous post HERE


This was also my "Test" or Wearable Muslin because I have a piece of fabric that cost me $125 a yard and I did not want to cut into it until I had made an attempt at a Chanel-esque jacket first and now that I have I will tackle the next one head on. I am still waiting for the chain to come in the mail so I can hand sew it the hem but I just had to wear it (patience is a virtue I don't posses) 




For construction pics go HERE /  For the fabric go HERE  / Gap Shirt (old) / Gap Audrey Pants HERE / F21 Necklace (old) / Steve Madden Pumps (old) similar HERE


Pattern Description: Misse's Jackets

Pattern Sizing: I cut the 6

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern once you were done sewing with it? Sort of

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use them as I was making a Chanel Inspired jacket I used couture techniques and hand sewed 90% of my jacket.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that its a basic design that you can use as a shell to create whatever your mind can conjure up.

Fabric Used: Neon/Cream Multi Boucle found HERE It is unbelievably gorgeous in person!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Like I mentioned above I had my own vision going on and although design wise and construction wise I did my own thing the basic pattern was not altered, I used the pieces as they came.

Would you sew it again? I plan to make another.





















VOGUE 7975

42 comments:

  1. That jacket is GORGEOUS!!! Beautifully done ~ the outfit is hot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This jacket just made me drop everything! (working and sneak-reading my google feeds.) Droolworthy!!! Also, I love your style and where you've taken your skillz and brand you deserve all the success you've made and what's to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful jacket and beautifully done. Did you continue to make your own trim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, I took apart the fibers and then added the black braiding. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful jacket. Your style is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .......................................................
    ........................................................
    That was me SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    B E A U T I F U L!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very chic!!!! I have seen the cost of a Chanel jacket. Can't wait to see the jacket with the $125.00 per yard fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very chic!!! I have seen the cost of a Chanel jacket. I can't wait to see the jacket made with the $125.00 per yard fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mimi,

    Just beautiful. ..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this look, that jacket and the color of it, the pearls, the blouse and those fantastic pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It came out sol pretty. Love the color combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on completing such a labor intensive project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to see the completed jacket. You did an excellent job and it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That jacket is fabulous!! I am amazed by all the work you put into it, it definitely shows!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE that fabric!!! The black trim just makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go ahead Mimi!!! Love the jacket and your pics are Smoooooth!!

    http://simplysassysstyle.blogspot.com/

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out even better than I expected! I wasn't sure how Chanel + Neon was going to turn out, but this is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gee the inside looks just as gorgeous as the outside!! :)
    need to learn to handsew... is it mainly just practice?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous, darling!! I love every single aspect from the style to the color to the classic pieces you chose to wear with it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning! And with all of the hand sewn tailoring...I know it was a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SUCH a classy outfit. I love the whole look from head to toe, and the jacket is really amazing. The black trim it such a neat detail.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ехcellent wеbsite. Lotѕ оf
    hеlρful infoгmation here. I am ѕending it to a feω pals
    ans aԁԁitionally sharing in ԁelicіous.
    Αnd nаturallу, thanks to
    уour еffort!
    Look at my page - loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful and impressive. Love the outfit and the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic jacket that really is great fabric, cant wait to see what the $125 a yard stuff looks like! A Chanel style jacket has been on my to do list forever too, maybe 2013 is the year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great jacket! Can you tell us, what kind of trimming you used? Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is GORGEOUS! I'm completely speechless! Beautiful beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mimi the jacket/blazer is so adorable it tuned out splendid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! This is amazing! You are too much! I'm just waiting to see you on project runway!

    Noriecreates.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. nys...nys...nys...nys....from jacket to shoes

    www.shulova.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. nys..nys...nys...nys from jacket to shoes...

    www.shulova.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful jacket! I have wanted to create a Chanel-style jacket for myself. Maybe I shall attempt it this year. Thank you for sharing your stunning version. I cannot wait to see the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fab Jacket...love it!!..........uughhh damn it i never learned how to sew!!....lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.